The Geelong College is a Uniting Church coeducational day and boarding school with approximately 1,500 students aged three to eighteen, including 100 boarders. The College is situated on two campuses in central Geelong, southwest of Melbourne, and has strong links to the beautiful surrounding coastal and rural areas.
The Geelong College aims to provide an inspiring education where all students can learn how to learn, flourish, be innovative and aspire to futures that harness their many skills and abilities.
We aim for our students to be respectful and to confidently develop their academic, emotional, physical, social and spiritual potential.
The Geelong College also seeks to provide learning experiences that shape personal development in ways that prepare students to positively contribute to society.
We inspire students to learn how to learn, to choose innovation and to flourish in a future where their skills and abilities can be truly harnessed by the world.
For this is the way to the stars.
In August 1927, the Old Geelong Collegians Association presented to the College Council a design for a coat of arms. The Council accepted the design and the arms have been used continuously since that time.
The armorial bearings consist of a shield surmounted by a coronet and the 'Pegasus' crest. The 'Pegasus' was taken from the arms of the Clan Morrison, representing the founders of the school. The shield is quartered and has emblazoned on it an open book representing learning, the Burning Bush symbolizing the Reformed Church faith, a claymore signifying the College's Scottish heritage and the Southern Cross, Australia. The College motto, Sic Itur Ad Astra, is at the foot of the arms. The coronet at the top is the symbol of the British Commonwealth.
The full College Coat-of-Arms was designed in 1927 but was not registered with the College of Heralds until 1986. The 'Pegasus' crest and the motto were chosen for the College by Mr George F Hutton, one of the two original assistant masters of 1861.